Guide for foreign residents
Retour à laccueil : Home (English) > Guide for foreign residents > Employment > Looking for a job: who to contact ?

Looking for a job: who to contact ?

Visuel d'illustration

What are your rights? Who should you contact? Find out about the procedure to follow, and the tools and assistance available to you in Paris.

If you have a residence permit which permits you to work, you can register as a job seeker. You must contact the "Pôle emploi", the organisation which manages unemployment benefits. You may request the registration application by letter, on-line on the Pôle emploi website or by telephone. If you have lost your job, you may also fill in an application for unemployment benefits at the same time. You may be entitled to benefits if you meet certain conditions. 

Once your registration has been recorded, the "Pôle emploi" will issue you with a certificate of registration (carte de demandeur d’emploi – job seekers’ card), notice of your change of situation and an information leaflet on your rights and obligations towards the  job centre, "Pôle emploi" the State institution in charge of promoting employment. You will then be invited to an interview on which you will be able to create your Projet d’action personnalisée (P.A.P. – personalised action plan).

The Pôle emploi helps you to find a job. In branches you will find job ads, information on professions, Internet access and a schedule of State-approved training courses. You will also find documentation and services at your local branch, such as workshops on various themes, an in-depth skills assessment, etc.

Pôle emploi  


Assistance from Paris City Hall


Paris City Hall can also help you to find work through several of its organisations and services. The Maisons des entreprises et de l’emploi (M.D.E.E. – centres for companies and employment), located in many arrondissements offer free Internet access for your formalities, and advice and guidance on the various assistance schemes. Young people from 16 to 25 years of age may also be received in the “Cyber-emploi” (Cyber-job) areas to access Internet free of charge or by local centres which offer counselling and follow-up services for Parisians who have left the school system.


"Paris emplois" website 


Consult the list of M.D.E.Es


A job in Paris : more information (in French) 



Send this page - new window » Send this page  Print » Print  Add to your cart - new window » Add to your cart 

Other documents

 Web ring
Paris Tourism bureau


Paris nightlife